Giving My Pets What They NeedGiving My Pets What They Need


About Me

Giving My Pets What They Need

After almost losing our family dog to a preventable infection, I realized that we needed to take her veterinary care more seriously. We started taking her in for regular checkups and focusing on vaccinations, and I know that it has made a few differences. Up until that time, our dog had always seemed a little off, but after she started getting the care that she needed, she would run and play like her peers. I want other pet owners to understand the importance of veterinary care, so I made this website. Find out what you need to do to take care of your pet by reading these articles.

Archive

Latest Posts

4 Things To Watch Out For This Springs In Order To Keep Your Cat Safe
25 March 2018

Each season brings with it new hazards and situati

3 Ways To Prevent Your Pet From Being Harmed By Ticks
27 December 2017

Ticks are a disgusting pest that can seriously har

Starting A Veterinary Clinic? Why You Should Purchase Used Veterinary Supplies
2 December 2017

If you're a veterinarian who has spent a substanti

4 Warning Signs Your Horse May Be Sick
8 November 2017

One of the best things in life is horse riding. Re

Four Tips To Prepare For Your Pet's Inpatient Surgery
16 October 2017

There might come a moment in time when your belove

6 Things In Your House That Can Hurt Your Dog

Whether your dog has been a part of your life for just a few months or 10 years, he is like a member of your family. You want to do everything in your power to keep him happy and healthy. Dogs are curious creatures by nature and may get into all sorts of things around the house, not realizing these items can be harmful. It is very important to know what items can hurt your dog and keep them far away from him. Here are six things in your house that can hurt your dog:

Human Medications

Prescription and over-the-counter medications may help you feel better, but they can be deadly for your dog. Giving a drug like Ibuprofen to your dog may seem harmless, but it can actually be toxic. It is very important to keep all of your medications out of reach from your dog. If you leave them on your living room coffee table, for example, your pooch could easily knock the pills off and eat them. It is safer to put your pills away in the medicine cabinet.

People Food

Just because a certain food is good for you, does not mean it is safe for your dog to eat. It is important to learn what people foods your dog can and can't eat. For example, chocolate should never be given to your dog because it contains methylxanthines. If your dog eats chocolate, he could experience vomiting, excessive thirst, seizures and tremors, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Nuts should never be given to your dog because their high fat content can result in pancreatitis. Other foods that you should keep away from your pooch include garlic, onions, grapes, avocado and yeast dough.

Plants

Plants may beautify your home, but certain species can be dangerous for your dog. For example, oleander is highly toxic to dogs and can lead to colic, diarrhea, muscle tremors, and possibly death, according to Care 2. You should take the time to learn what plants are harmful for your dogs and avoid keeping them inside and outside of your home.

Fertilizer

Fertilizer is needed to kill weeds and keep your yard looking nice, but it is not so great for your dog. If you have just fertilized the lawn, you should keep your pooch away from there for at least 48 hours. To increase safety even more, you can invest in a fertilizer that is pet friendly.

Antifreeze

Antifreeze has an attractive smell to dogs, so they may lick it if it has dripped on the ground. However, antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, which is toxic to pets. If your dog ingests this chemical, it can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, fainting, seizures, a rapid heart beat and even death. That is why you should take care of antifreeze spills as soon as possible and keep antifreeze containers far away from your dog.

Cleaning Products

When you are using bleach and other cleaning products to clean your home, make sure your dog is far away. If your dog ingests one of these chemicals, he could be in a lot of danger. It is even a better idea to use cleaning products that are non-toxic and safe for pets.

The idea of your precious pooch getting his paws on one of these items is definitely scary. If you watch your dog extra carefully, you can keep him safe. However, if your dog still ingests one of these items, you need to go to the emergency animal hospital as soon as possible. The sooner he is treated by a veterinarian at a clinic like Animal Emergency Clinic, the better.